Systems of Success
with LONNIE GIENGER
Watch The Episode
About The Episode
This is a golden opportunity to hear the author of, How to Make Your Family Business Last, Mitzi Perdue, distill a combined 280 years of her own family’s culture-building wisdom into one hour. You’ll gain real life lessons and gain practical tools you can use to create and maintain a healthier family culture that could endure for generations.
Mitzi combines the experiences of two long-time family businesses: her father Ernest Henderson co-founded the Sheraton Hotel Chain and her late husband Frank Perdue was the second generation in the poultry company that today operates in more than 100 countries. You’ll be captivated by Mitzi’s genuine passion to share practical tips and tools that have helped her two long-running families flourish together for more than seven generations.
“When family members love, support, and encourage each other, there is a flourishing of the human soul that is incomparable.” — Mitzi Perdue
- Developing family traditions and gatherings that keep the family together over many generations
- The value and process for truly getting to know and understand family members
- Creating a system to ensure the family continues to meet and keep in touch on a regular basis over the generations
- Instilling family activities and awards that build and reinforce family values
- How to leverage philanthropy to reinforce family culture and build relationships
- How to leave the legacy of a “recipe for living”
- Reinforcing generational values and learnings through creative forms of autobiographies
- The value of developing an ethical will
- How to transfer a family value like frugality to the younger generation
- What does a high-functioning family look like and what is most likely to create this type of family
- How to educate the next generation of leaders
- How to generate happiness and build on the strengths of prior generations
- The importance of intentionality in creating family culture
- How to deal with family conflict: Perdue’s covenant and Henderson’s “we don’t wash our dirty linens in public”
- How to be up in down times
To find more gems of wisdom from Mitzi, go to www.mitziperdue.com or get her books on Amazon.
Thanks again for listening to the show! If it has helped you in any way, please share it using the social media buttons you see on the page. We’d also really appreciate any feedback or questions that might guide what we talk about in future episodes.
Additionally, reviews for the podcast on iTunes are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show and we read each and every one of them.
JOIN THE SYSTEMS FOR SUCCESS COMMUNITY!
- Subscribe to the Systems for Success Podcast on IOS or Apple Itunes.
- Subscribe to the Systems for Success Podcast on Android or Windows OS.
- Enter your email in one of the email opt-ins on this site for regular emails from Lonnie Gienger or the Gienger Family on additional Systems for Success.
- Follow Systems for Success on Instagram @systemsforsuccess
- Follow Lonnie Gienger on Instagram @lonniegienger